Aqueduct House, Marple, Peak Forest Canal

Close to the Marple Aqueduct, this attractive building is also near the bottom lock of the 16 in the Marple flight. These were completed in 1804, rising 209 ft to link the upper and lower stretches of the canal. Before then, a tramway (itself completed in 1800) connected the two.

Photo history (current taken 12-Jan-2002)